“Baby Groot Cake | Guardians Of The Galaxy (How To)” written by Bren Koger.
Guardians of the Galaxy is a 2014 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team.
One of our favorites of the group of extraterrestrial misfits, is the plant monster character, Groot. In the movie he re-sprouts after saving the lives of his friends from impact of a spaceship crash with a giant tree hug …
We LOVED the Baby Groot, and If you’re a fan of the movie, as much as we are, then this is the perfect cake to make for any celebration! Watch the video below!
Baby Groot Cake – List of Ingredients
16 oz. chocolate candy coating
One cake mix (flavor of choice)
Cake filling of choice
Dark brown, black and pink fondant
Plastic container ( I used a 160z Walmart brand Cool Whip container)
One skewer stick
Optional for “grass”
Green food coloring
VIDEO: Making the Baby Groot Cake
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
Baby Groot Cake – Directions
- Bake the cake and filling of choice per directions (see lemon filling recipe above).
- Melt the chocolate coating and pour it inside of the plastic container. I just poured it in and let it move around the container. Use ice or put in the freezer to let it cool and harden. Make sure the sides are thick enough so that it doesn’t crumble when you remove the plastic container.
- Pour a bit of chocolate for the mount for the balloon stick making sure it’s in the center.
- Cut a score along the top with an X Acto blade and carefully cut a line down the side of the container. Very carefully pull it apart.
- Take out your chocolate plant container and even off the top edge. It should look like a pot for plants.
- Use the lid as a template to cut the cake circles to place inside the pot.
- Put some lemon curd on the bottom or cake filling of your choice.
- Layer the cake cut in a circle the size of your pot.
- Alternate until you end with the lemon filling.
- To form the body of the baby Groot with your fondant, marble the dark brown and light color together and then twist it in to a log and push it onto the stick leaving room for the head.
- To make the head roll a piece of fondant into an oval and cut ends with a scissors…making it look like sprouting mangrove kind of plant look.
- Make eyes with black fondant and form mouth.
- Roll out thin vines for the arms around the body.
- Wrap them around to give him that sort of tree sprouting look.
- Crush the Oreo cookies on top and add your fake grass which is coconut flakes tossed with a few drops of green food coloring.
Wah Lau! You have your dancing baby Groot cake (cue the Jackson Five music).
I hope you guys enjoy this cake! I certainly had a lot of fun making it for my amazing son, Cameron and his girlfriend Yue!
Thanks for watching guys.
P.S. If you gained value from this post be sure to comment below, and please share this post on Facebook or Twitter!